Nesciothemis farinosa (Förster, 1898)
Type locality: Komatipoort, South Africa
Male is similar to N. pujoli by (a) larger size, Hw 31-35 mm, rarely down to 29 mm; (b) labrum black, often with paler border, and tibiae all black with maturity; (c) Abd pruinose to base of S6, rarely to base of S8 in south; (d) S7-10 black, often with yellow streaks. However, differs by (1) ranging from Arabia to South Africa; (2) hollow of hamule lobe deep and narrow, fitting ridge less than 3x (lateral view); (3) ridge along border of lobe of hamule continues below gap between lobe and hook; (4) at least more than half of S4 pruinose, often S5 entirely so, occasionally to base of S8. [Adapted from Dijkstra & Clausnitzer 2014]
Standing waters, rivers, streams and possibly also flowing channels in marshes in open landscapes. Often with emergent vegetation, probably especially pools in stream beds. From 0 to 2100 m above sea level, but mostly below 1500.
Abdominal segment 2 (lateral view)
Map citation: Clausnitzer, V., K.-D.B. Dijkstra, R. Koch, J.-P. Boudot, W.R.T. Darwall, J. Kipping, B. Samraoui, M.J. Samways, J.P. Simaika & F. Suhling, 2012. Focus on African Freshwaters: hotspots of dragonfly diversity and conservation concern. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10: 129-134.
- Förster, F. (1898). Odonaten des Transvaalstaaten. II. Entomologische Nachrichten, 24, 166-172.
- Balinsky, B.I. (1961). Observations on the dragonfly fauna of the coastal region of Zululand, with descriptions of three new species (Odonata). Journal Entomological Society Southern Africa, 24, 72-91. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1961). Dragonflies (Odonata) of Central Africa. Occasional Papers Rhodes-Livingstone Museum, 14, 1-97. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1966). Check-list of dragonflies (Odonata) from Malawi, with description of a new Teinobasis Kirby. Arnoldia, 2, 1-24. [PDF file]
- Lieftinck, M.A. (1969). Odonates Anisoptères - Odonata Anisoptera. Explor. hydrob. Lac Bangweolo and Luapula, 14, 1-64. [PDF file]
- Longfield, C. (1955). The Odonata of N. Angola. Part I. Publicacoes culturais Companhia Diamantes Angola, 27, 11-63. [PDF file]
Citation: Dijkstra, K.-D.B (editor). African Dragonflies and Damselflies Online. http://addo.adu.org.za/ [2021-03-08].