Pseudagrion (B) glaucoideum Schmidt in Ris, 1936
Type locality: Congo, no locality data available.
Male is similar to P. isidromorai by (a) ranging from W Uganda and N Zambia to W Africa; (b) size, Hw 19-23 mm; (c) face green or blue, sometimes yellowish; (d) dorsum of S2 with double-pronged marking, like U or Y, or largely black, usually with blue centre; (e) S8-9 seldom with narrowly black apical border, often all blue; (f) apex of penis weakly to strongly concave; (g) upper branch of cerci hooked, but inner border of lower branch smooth- lower branch of cerci long, finger-like; (h) paraprocts never with dorsal knob (lateral view). However, differs by (1) humeral sutures and vertex always with fragmented black markings, rather than often being extensively black; (2) lower border of cerci more straight, rather than round and bulging; (3) penis with long apical lobes with deep notch between them, rather than having a weakly concave, squarish apex. [Adapted from Dijkstra & Clausnitzer 2014; this diagnosis not yet verified by author]
Mostly rivers, but also streams, in open areas in forest or shaded by gallery forest. Usually with emergent vegetation and often a sandy and/or soft (like muddy) bottom, probably especially calmer sections. From 0 to 1700 m above sea level.
Appendages (dorsal view)
Appendages (lateral view)
Penis (lateral view)
Penis (ventral view)
Map citation: Clausnitzer, V., K.-D.B. Dijkstra, R. Koch, J.-P. Boudot, W.R.T. Darwall, J. Kipping, B. Samraoui, M.J. Samways, J.P. Simaika & F. Suhling, 2012. Focus on African Freshwaters: hotspots of dragonfly diversity and conservation concern. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10: 129-134.
- Ris, F., Schmidt, E. (1936). Die Pseudagrion-Arten des kontinentalen Afrika. (Insecta, Odonata). [posthumous, Schmidt based on Ris' notes - sp authorship Schmidt] Abhandlungen Senckenbergischen Naturforschenden Gesellschaft, 433, 1-68. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1961). Dragonflies (Odonata) of Central Africa. Occasional Papers Rhodes-Livingstone Museum, 14, 1-97. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1973). Notes on some African representatives of the genus Pseudagrion Selys, 1876, with descriptions of two new species (Zygoptera: Coenagrionidae). Odonatologica, 2, 317-327. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1971). Notes on the genus Pseudagrion Selys (Odonata: Coenagrionidae). Arnoldia, 5, 1-4. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1962). Some records of Odonata collected in tropical Africa. Journal Entomological Society Southern Africa, 25, 20-50. [PDF file]
Citation: Dijkstra, K.-D.B (editor). African Dragonflies and Damselflies Online. http://addo.adu.org.za/ [2021-03-08].